Comments on Irish Car Bomb Post a Comment
The Original Carbomb Cocktail History and recipe Shot Glass: 1/2oz Bailys;1/4oz. Kahlua; Irish whiskey Fill Fill Pint glass with 8-10 oz of Guinness(any large glass will do) Pour shot in order listed. Slide shot into Guinness, Admire, Toast, and Drink it Down(sliding Shot avoids major curdling and keeps the bartender happy!) Read this story before preparation: Drink History The CARBOMB: The Creation of An Historic Cocktail Charles Burke Cronin Oat Master of Mixology 1967- This incredibly tasty drink was invented in 1979 as a follow up to the shot which I created in 1977 on St. Patrick's Day. Drink History NOTE: Before you start; understand that this was a carefully thought out "Cocktail", a Recipe!!! To you naysayers on the Kahlua because it is not Irish.. remember a Margarita has Triple sec and it is French. The Carbomb is a recipe Originally the shot was called a Grandfather- 1/2 oz. give or take of Baileys and 1/4 oz.or so of Kahlua The name Grandfather lasted through the first hour of its life and many, many toasts to our grandfathers were made. I put it together for my brothers who were visiting my pub, Wilson's Saloon, Est. 1886, that St. Patrick’s Day afternoon. Being St. Patrick’s Day heavy toasting was in order. However, after consuming a few "Grandfathers" along with Pints of Guinness, the true drink of “The Day”; we all realized something was missing. The taste was incredible!!! (Kahlua was key to this) but, couldn't quite get the buzz going. I knew immediately what it was, and with a laugh at our stupidity, I yelled for a bottle of Jameson. As I poured the whiskey into the shot of Baileys and Kahlua I commented that “the IRA just showed up. This oughta work now!” (As you add the Jameson to the Baileys and Kahlua, the shot boils up like an explosion, hence the IRA.) Others at the bar joined in to the toasting , “Give us some of those IRA shots they’re drinking ” was the call up and down the bar. And the name Grandfather disappeared and the IRA was born.(In its early days the use of Scotch and American whiskeys was used in place of Jameson throughout the area, because so very few establishments had an Irish Whiskey. An ugly thought.} Two years later, drinking IRAs and Guinness with my manager, I got the crazy idea as we were toasting to drop the shot in my half finished Guinness. The look in his eyes as I held the shot over the Guinness said it all. "Bombs Away " was the call. I called it the Belfast Carbomb, Irish Carbomb in other company, and “Carbomb?” when we were looking for a fellow reprobate to join us in celebrating the fact that we had survived another day. The drink languished in Ct. and was slowly spread across America by the many Navy personnel who frequented Wilson's Saloon. World renown for this drink did not come until many years later. The marketing blitz by the Guinness corporation late 80's early 90's got things rolling. The popularity explosion of Guinness in America that resulted made all things created with Guinness popular too. The Carbomb is fun to drink, tastes great, women love them equally as well as men! A final note: If you invent a drink such as the Carbomb, as I did so long ago, beware! You never know if it might become famous, so pick the name carefully. IRA and Carbomb are "cool" in the bar scene, but in the reality of today NOT.
Posted by Pouringpro Send Pouringpro a private message Leave a public comment for Pouringpro 2009-03-27 09:32:47

Best drink ever. What else is there to say? Whether you prefer Carolan's or Bailey's or Guinness or Murphy's.. who the he11 cares! Enjoy it however you like it. Just don't let it curdle... if it's curdling on you, you're not drinikng it right! hahA!
Posted by scorpio74 Send scorpio74 a private message Leave a public comment for scorpio74 2007-11-20 16:44:39

an Irish car bomb does NOT have irish whiskey.....that would be a belfast car bomb. For an Irish car bomb, substitute the whiskey for jameson.
Posted by Anonymous 2006-06-07 00:00:00

The orginal Irish Car Bomb: Was made with Murphy's Irish Stout NOT GUINNESS !!!
Posted by Anonymous 2006-04-15 00:00:00

I use room temp Guinness (no brain freeze), Jameson's, and cold Carolans. I'm a Harley rider, got some of my bro's to try them after it became MY favorite drink; NOW, they ALL drink 'em, and my buds and I are being called "the bomb squad" in our little town. Those who think it's demeaning need to lighten up- it's just a DRINK. (and a damned GOOD one.)
Posted by Anonymous 2006-03-19 00:00:00

Okay, I never had it this way, with the Bailey's. My 'Irish" household served it with 3/4 pint of Guiness, a FULL shot glass of Jameson's, lit on fire and dropped into the pint, then chugged. Those were awesome! How come I can't find any recipes for them the good old fashioned way?
Posted by Anonymous 2006-02-22 00:00:00

this is a great drink for all of the family to get pissed on so they have insest german sex
Posted by Anonymous 2006-01-02 00:00:00

I thought that since 9/11 Americans had realised that funding the IRA was maybe not a great idea, so what's with the IRA celebratory drinks menu?
Posted by Anonymous 2005-11-28 00:00:00

Try using Bushmill's Irish Cream instead of Bailey's. I've found it doesn't curdle as much...
Posted by Ogrette Send Ogrette a private message Leave a public comment for Ogrette 2005-10-27 00:00:00

Had my first Car Bomb at the Fell's Point Fun Festival in Baltimore last weekend! Must have another! It was great.
Posted by Anonymous 2005-10-05 00:00:00

Made them for the first time last night. Big hit not sure if I want to try one glasses looked gross with the curdling effect. Want to see how 2 of my customers felt after 5 each not including their night of beers. By the way did use Carolinas didn't have Baileys they loved them.
Posted by Anonymous 2005-10-02 00:00:00

It's 3/4 a pint of Guinness... 1/2 shot Baileys + 1/2 shot Jameson, the rest is correct. Oh yeah, it takes just over 8 seconds to curdle in the glass so chug fast!
Posted by Anonymous 2005-09-05 00:00:00

Posted by Anonymous 2005-09-05 00:00:00

they are the bomb!
Posted by Anonymous 2005-06-30 00:00:00

iv'e never heard this drink called an "Irish" car bomb. I dont know if there is any difference between regular Kentucky,Canadian,or Tennesee vs. Irish wiskey, but I have had a number of "car bombs" with the same ingrediants only whatever wiskey that is on hand is used. Either way, they taste good as hell.
Posted by Anonymous 2005-05-17 00:00:00

Why make such a mess when each of the three ingredients is soooo goooood by itself? One after the other!
Posted by Anonymous 2005-04-18 00:00:00

whats better: put the whiskey in the beer before drinking it, and make it a double shot of baileys!
Posted by Anonymous 2005-03-25 00:00:00

i went to an irish bar san fran and asked for this drink and almost got hung
Posted by Anonymous 2005-03-20 00:00:00

....but if you are ordering it in an irish bar, ask for the drink called 'when the queen got f*cked'
Posted by Anonymous 2005-03-17 00:00:00

I am making car bombs at home is it alright if I substitute carlans Irish cream for bailey's
Posted by Anonymous 2005-03-08 00:00:00

Goes down smooth.
Posted by Anonymous 2005-02-25 00:00:00

One of the best mixed drinks. Though not the most polically correct drinks. 10 out of 10
Posted by Anonymous 2005-01-25 00:00:00

The reaction between the Bailey's and the Guiness is half the point of this variation. It's a drink for people who want to show off putting it away quickly. Anyone who sips this drink deserves the rancid, curdled mouthful that they get.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-12-17 00:00:00

This is definately my favorite drink ever.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-11-26 00:00:00

I made one of my regulars sick with this one... apparently, you have to like Guiness to appreciate "da bomb"...
Posted by Ogrette Send Ogrette a private message Leave a public comment for Ogrette 2004-11-19 00:00:00

I had my first car bomb while visting "family" in PA. I absolutly love this drink. Thanks spazz and Ryan.. BUGS.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-11-16 00:00:00

Posted by Anonymous 2004-11-16 00:00:00

This is just a variant on the old Boilermaker. The boilermaker tastes better
Posted by Anonymous 2004-10-19 00:00:00

I think this drink taste's very similar to a jamocha shake from Arby's.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-09-05 00:00:00

My cousin, last name McBride, from Norwalk, Iowa swears he made up this drink. I'm pretty sure he's full of crap. Anyone know it's origins?
Posted by Anonymous 2004-06-30 00:00:00

fell in love with this drink in 1/2 second!!!
Posted by Anonymous 2004-06-24 00:00:00

Now this is a real drink, when I drink it I try not to splash to much out while dropping in the shot so I can get as much as possible into muh bellay!
Posted by Anonymous 2004-06-16 00:00:00

if you want to se seomthing funny tell a freind that they have to drink it slowly, not just stright up chug it. SOOO funy
Posted by Anonymous 2004-05-23 00:00:00

This drink will kill ya eventually your car probably wont blow up but shit your stomach will!!!!!
Posted by Anonymous 2004-03-07 00:00:00

I'm so glad that this is now the name of a drink as i would hate for the actual deaths from car bombs to go to waste. It must make you feel so safe to denigrate the irish when, in fact, there are more deaths per capita on the mainland. happy hunting saddos.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-03-01 00:00:00

ahhh there is nothing better! 'tis the best shooter in the world.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-01-31 00:00:00

The drink that made me change from budweiser to guiness. Tastes jost like chocolate milk. Check out Belfast Car Bomb too.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-01-19 00:00:00

Simply the best drink ever.
Posted by Anonymous 2004-01-19 00:00:00

I just had the car bomb, followed by a rusty nail, then a shot of 99 bananas and I felt absolutely no effect on me. Am I a freak?
Posted by Anonymous 2003-12-12 00:00:00

Yo Russ - take the stick out a your ass. We named the damn drink. It has more to do with what our vehicle turns into after a few of these tasty cocktails. Ted Kennedy made them famous!
Posted by Anonymous 2003-11-12 00:00:00

Lighten up and have an Irish Car Bomb. They are deeeeelishousss!
Posted by Anonymous 2003-11-11 00:00:00

dont drink car bombs on an empty stomach. stomach acid tastes bad!
Posted by hybridzc Send hybridzc a private message Leave a public comment for hybridzc 2003-11-11 00:00:00

Posted by Anonymous 2003-11-10 00:00:00

don't you think that the name 'Irish car bomb' is disrespectful to those who have suffered and suffer regulary from such underground tactics and all the hostilities in Northern Ireland? I certainly do and hope many other concious people do
Posted by Anonymous 2003-11-10 00:00:00

If you're ever in Nashville, go to Mulligan's Irish pub and order 1...or 2... or 3. Tried 2 of em last night. Damn it's good.
Posted by Anonymous 2003-08-30 00:00:00

this drink kicks ass! It tastes like chocolate milk....mmmmmm
Posted by Anonymous 2003-08-24 00:00:00

this was amazing. absolutely trashed me.
Posted by Anonymous 2003-08-24 00:00:00

They're easy to make & you only need the Guiness & 2 liquors. Don't forget to have at least one on St. Patty's Day!
Posted by Anonymous 2003-07-24 00:00:00

best drink ever. soooooooooo smooth.
Posted by Anonymous 2003-06-29 00:00:00

these are pretty good, ICE COLD beer, and room temp baileys, but you HAVE to chug fast, because it DOES curdle quickly.
Posted by Anonymous 2003-06-22 00:00:00

Gets you FAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKED
Posted by Anonymous 2003-05-31 00:00:00

My friends and I wanted to try these one night, and we had never had Guiness before. So we had it sitting in the fridge beforehand when we were ready to chug it. NEVER do that, because you get the most painful, throbbing brain-freezes you could ever hope to get. We learned our lesson after that! Room temp!
Posted by Anonymous 2003-04-20 00:00:00

I was rather forcefully corrected by an off-the-boat Irish barkeep - a geunine Irish Car Bomb is simply Jameson's dropped into Guinness. Bailey's make a Bailey's Bomb (imagine that); the cream and Guinness don't mix well - try making one up with Baileys and letting it sit for 10 minutes, you'll be a convert to Jameson's forever.
Posted by Anonymous 2003-03-30 00:00:00

This "Bomb" will really do some damage, 2 or 3 and get ready for a wild ride...great way to start off an evening is with a couple!
Posted by Anonymous 2003-03-10 00:00:00

I'm not Irish, but I love this drink! Only 2 and I'm gone to greener pastures...LOL
Posted by Anonymous 2002-12-30 00:00:00